Sunday, October 2, 2011

"You're not fat!!!!"

Here's how the conversation goes..

I say "Something hilariously witty and refer to myself as a fat girl."

You say "Don't say that!!! You're not fat!!!!"

I say "Ummmm... I'm sorry, I didn't know you were blind.."

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines "fat" as:

Definition of FAT

1
: notable for having an unusual amount of fat:a : plumpb : obesec of a meat animal : fattened for marketd of food : oilygreasy


I guess this post ties in with my reclaiming of the word fat, somewhat.

I understand that a lot of people just aren't comfortable, and think it's insulting or something.  And that's fine.  But there's no sense in flat out denying it.  I've come to terms with it.  So should you.  Acceptance is the first step, after-all, isn't it?

And after the infamous "You're not fat!!!" line, I'm put in a super awkward position.  Wondering partially, "Wtf is wrong with this person?  Clearly, I'm fuckin' fat."  How do I even respond to that.  I've stated the obvious.  A fact, even.  And now you've gone and told me I'm wrong, when I very clearly am not.  Where do I go from here?  How do I move this conversation forward?  Usually just a chuckle, followed by an eye-rolling "Oooooook, crazy!"

Not entirely sure how to wrap this up.  I guess if someone states the obvious, don't deny it.  But if it makes you feel uncomfortable to go with it, maybe just go with the chuckle, followed by an eye-rolling "Ooooooook, crazy!"  Apparently, this will work for either party in this situation when they just don't know what else to say.



No comments:

Post a Comment